Monday, November 05, 2007

ODE TO BOB

AN ODE TO BOB LESLIE


On the 21st of October 2007, Bob Leslie stopped by to ask about me, wife told him I had gone to Pakistan. As Bob would, he was concerned, what was I doing in Pakistan at a time like this, when will I be back. He asked her to have me call him when I returned. I returned the night of the 26th, I could no longer call Bob.

There is a story that Moses had a speech impediment so his brother, Aaron, had to speak for him. Bob Leslie spoke for many people. As the and a host of “Talk of the Wiregrass” he allowed others to talk, no matter how controversial the topic, how odd the opinion he would let you talk, then he would confront you and make you defend your point of view. He was smart, he was witty, he was aware of the world, and Bob Leslie was all that and more.

Over the past few years I got to know Bob, not just as the host of the talk show I listened to and called in, I had the privilege to get to know him personally, we had a few lunches together, a few laughs and swapped a few stories. He was concerned about the country, about the people of the world, the plight of the poor and the struggle we call life. We did not always agree on everything, but we never had a harsh word either, I personally know that his show was threatened by sponsors because of some controversial subjects discussed but Bob was stead fast in his desire first of speaking out for the poor and secondly to fight the ignorance of the public at all levels.

We had some lively discussions too, he a believer in Christ and me a Bible and Koran quoting non-believer. I knew him to be Christian, and I knew his religion and his faith was not given to him by his political party. He did care about the people as a true Christian would.

I know how it sincerely pained him to see our country going down the road to a disaster, while bad people were doing some very bad things and the good people were standing around dazed and confused and saying everything is ok. Bob took it all personally, he took it too serious, too personal. He took it as a personal failure. A veteran of Vietnam, a traveler of India and South America, he knew what happens when a few take advantage of the ignorance of the masses, and he saw it coming.

Bob Leslie was my Aaron, giving me a voice on his talk show, reading my e-mails and writing back with comments. Discussing my points of view no matter how controversial, no matter how out of the main stream and how radical he would let me talk on his show as he would let me talk to him in person, I could count on him to let me speak my mind as he did with anyone else that called up his show. No doubt tonight thousands across the Wiregrass still miss his voice.





The Final Answer


Just a simple promise
Promise of a new start
When the options are so few
The world is falling apart

Open the windows
To a whole new reality
An altered state of being
A different look at finality

Leave all the sorrows
And the troubles behind
To start a new tomorrow
That tomorrow will not find

When the loneliness and pain
Are the price for existence
You don't ever pay the cost
Just plan the resistance


When the darkness is the darkest
She is the only romancer
She is the sweetest seductress
She is the final answer

08/02/2001
(M.N.R.)

No comments: